Thursday 19 May 2011

Final: The Most Important Things

Changing impressions, honestly I cannot fill this blog post about how my impressions of Japan have changed during my time here, because they haven’t changed, sure there have been many things I haven’t wanted to do while in Japan that I haven’t been able to do because of a busy schedule and a lack of time, but this hasn’t really changed the way I perceive Japan.

However I have come to realize what holds the most importance to me in Japan, and that is of course is not only limited to my Japanese friends, but also my other foreign friends at Kansai Gaidai, without doubt one of the main benefits of doing study at Kansai Gaidai is that you get to make friends from all over the world, but that turns into a slight negative when you need to return to you home country.

Soon, actually within the next few weeks I need to return to Australia, and this is something that I am not particularly looking forward to, because as much as I like my lifestyle here, the music, fashion culture and all of that fun stuff, I know I am going to miss all my amazing friends here to a point where it will be painful.

I really can’t thank everyone enough for making this experience of mine so amazing.

So instead of filling this blog with lies on how my perception of Japan has changed, I will instead fill it with pictures that represent the memories of my friends that I will carry with me for life.

Ryota

This is my friend Ryota, and he was the first person who posed for this photo set for me, to me Ryota is a important friend, in a way he is kind of like a cousin to me, he has a cheerful personality and always laughing, he can also be a bit of a goof ball, and loves to tease me, but he is always willing to help and really is a great friend

Yusuke (Aqua Fresh)

Next up is Yusuke, also known as Aqua fresh, I can say without hesitation that this guy is insane, you can’t be around him for more than 5 minutes without him saying or doing something hilarious that leaves you in stiches, he is honest about everything, to the point where it’s sometimes a little too much, but underneath all of the dirty jokes he is a really good friend

Soushi

Soushi, honestly, my friendship with him has been a wild ride, but in the end I appreciate having had him as a friend, we tend to argue a lot, but perhaps that’s because we have spent too much time together, but there has been many times he has helped me when I really needed it, at times his sense of humour is golden and he can be a really kind person.

Yuji

Yuji is a friend through mutual friends, so I have only had the chance to hang out with him several times, but I would still like to think I can consider him a friend, he has a friendly personality that shines and a beaming smile that really stands out.

Ayaka
This is the second time Ayaka will make an appearance in this blog, as she was also the subject of my portrait entry, but again I can’t stress just how much of a wonderful person she is, I can say without a doubt that Ayaka is easily one of the people I will miss the most in Japan, she is kind, fun honest and just awesome, Japan would be a lot less epic place if she wasn’t here

Taishu

Taishu, really what can I say about this boy, I feel like if by any chance that if he ever read this he would tease me non stop, but along with Ayaka, I would consider Taishu one of my best friends in Japan, we can talk about the most random topics and I will never get bored, we tease each other and he will often tease me to the point of embarrassment, but somehow I often end up spilling my secrets to him giving him even more power to tease me, and on top of this we are always hitting and kicking each other, and I can talk him into almost anything (I once convinced him to let me do makeup on him) so to me he is kind of like a little brother, because at the end I see signs that he cares, I often say about Taishu “he is a friend that I would trust with my life, but not my homework” I think this sums him up well

Taiki

Taiki is a interesting guy, along with Ryosuke (the next picture) the pair is like a comedy duo, Taiki seems low key and relaxed but has moments when he is pricelessly hilarious, especially during karaoke, and even more so when trying to quit smoking and doing a terrible job at it.
Taiki is one of those people who just seems to be effortlessly funny and cool.

Ryosuke

Ryosuke is usually pretty stylin, unlike Taiki (I hardly ever see them apart so when I talk about them I tend to talk about them as a pair) he really seems to put a lot of effort into his appearance (not to say Taiki doesent look cool, he just does it more naturally) I remember one of my first thoughts about Ryosuke was “omg he is wearing the same brand name jacket as me” and naturally it’s a damn expensive brand name, but he is also a really fun guy.

All of this people have had a big influence of my life in Japan, unfortunately there are a hand full of other really important friends that I haven’t been able to get their picture like this, or that I will get within the next week, so perhaps once I return to Australia I might update this blog two last times, one time to add more of my Japanese friends who I have yet to take photos of like these, as well a a special entry for my foreign friends at Kansai Gaidai

And just as a final explanation all of this photos are taken as a photo project I am doing for my own happiness, so I have fond memories of all the amazing people I meet throughout my life, I intend to continue this for many years, if possible into old age, because I think through these photos I can capture the personality and love of the people I adore and love.

To end this I will briefly move back to the subject of changes.
Although I don’t believe I have changed my perception on Japan, I believe that Japan has changed my perspective of myself (I do think I have changed quite a few bit)  as of the day I writing this I have been away from home for 278 (maybe I counted wrong) 10 of which days I was in Taiwan, and the rest in Japan.

Me and a friend at the airport before leaving Australia

This is me just before coming to Japan, my hair colour shifted between blonde and brown, I weighed about 68kg, I didn’t wear makeup and didn’t put much focus into my appearance or the way I dressed because I didn’t really see the point in it, I was a little shy and lacked confidence in a lot of ways, I couldn’t really hold even a basic conversation in Japanese, had no tattoo’s, had a great love for music but no outlet for it.

Me now


And me now, I think my sense of fashion style has improved leaps and bounds, I went from not knowing how to apply makeup beyond basic foundation and blush, to getting good at makeup to the point where I feel slightly uncomfortable if I leave the house without it, lately my hair is often dyed pink, blue, purple and blonde, I have a lot more confidence in myself and not as shy anymore, I can now carry conversation to a certain level in Japanese and I have four tattoos and about to get my fifth one before returning to Australia.

So I don’t think Japan has changed the way I perceive myself, but it has changed me, but in the end, the most important things are friends that will accept you no matter what.

Japan is not the places you go, the things you do, or the food you eat….it’s the friends you make.


Myself and my speaking partner Rie



Myself and Ayaka

1 comment:

  1. A tribute to your friends seems to be an interesting and fitting way to end your blog project. But still I wonder if your impressions of Japan haven't changed as you claim. Perhaps you will realize this more once you return to Australia.
    Thank you for your efforts these last two semesters.

    ReplyDelete